Black Seam Tape
Seam tape is an extruded, vulcanized, black rubber adhesive tape designed to provide high strength, watertight joints in single ply EPDM membranes. Seam Tape is soft and tacky for quick grab to EPDM, yet possesses high initial strength at 158◦F (70◦C). SeamTape also exhibit excellent adhesion to polar and nonpolar substrates such as glass, metals, wood, concrete, masonry and plastics. Seam Tape is 3" or 7" wide by 0.030" thick, sticky on both sides and wound on easy releasing paper. Available in 25 ft, 50 ft or 100 ft master rolls.. Call for case qty and bulk order pricing or visit the Discounted Bulk Items page. Click the You Tube link to the right to see an instructional video.
All work surfaces should be clean, dry, and free of dirt, dust, debris, oils, un-adhered coatings and other contaminants that may result in a surface that is not sound or is uneven.
- The entire surface where EPDM Seam Tape will be applied must be cleaned and primed.
- Mark the membrane where the edge of the splice occurs and then fold the top portion back. Apply EPDM primer to both sides of membrane using the supplied scrub pad. Scrub the membrane thoroughly while the primer is wet moving up and down the seam area. NOTE: Use caution when installing at temperatures below 40oF (5oC) to prevent blushing of EPDM primer (formation of condensation on surface of primer).
- Allow the primer to dry to the touch (no material transfer, typically less than 20 minutes). Dry time will vary depending on ambient temperature and humidity.
- Position the EPDM Seam Tape over the primed splice area along the marked edge. Press in by hand. Verify that approximately 1/8” (0.3cm) of tape extends beyond splice edge.
- Roll the top surface of the release liner to promote adhesion to the bottom substrate.
- Allow the EPDM membrane to fall freely onto the Seam Tape. Remove lease liner at a 45º angle.
- Immediately roll the splice with a Seam Roller. Roll perpendicular to splice edge.